Fulfilling Your Life’s Goal Through Personal Development
Some weeks ago, I was opportune to facilitate and share with some young professionals at 2 different programs and a different audience on the topic – Fulfilling Your Life’s Goal Through Personal Development.
Teaching the same topic to two different audiences taught me some life lessons on preparation and the importance of teaching others. At the end of the second training, not only did I share, I learned and even got 3 more related topics to teach/write on.
Before we get to the part where we discuss life’s goals, I’ll like to mention the importance of having the right mindset and a positive attitude at all times. This will determine how you’ll react to this post when you are done reading it.
You become what you daily think/feed your mind on.
Your mindset is formed by your beliefs and it defines your core. Thus, it is important to do away with negative vibes and thoughts pattern and focus on having the right mindset like a mindset of excellence, giving, compassion, personal leadership, growth and development, etc.
Now, let’s discuss the issue of life’s goals and personal development.
We are very familiar with the word “Goal”, however, not many of us are familiar with the words “Life’s Goal” or “Lifetime Goals”.
Most times, people have yearly/monthly goals through which they aim to solve or address some specific issues. However, one thing you need to know is any goal you are setting should be centred around your life’s goal.
What is Life’s Goal?
Life’s goal is/are a set of goals centred around your life’s purpose. A goal or set of few goals that you wish to accomplish in 50 years or in your lifetime. What you want to be remembered for when you are no more.
It channels your actions and decisions; thus it is centred around your life’s purpose.
How do you know your purpose, you ask? It will take soul-searching, asking the Creator to reveal it to you and then I recommend that you read the book Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren and check out these posts on Discovering Purpose.
When you know your life’s goal, you then break into 20,10,5,3,1 year plan; then into monthly and daily plans.
These plans should cover all areas of your life such as Career, Financial, Education, Family, Attitude, Physical /Health, Pleasure /Adventure, Public Service, etc.
Suggested Read: 5 Practical Steps on How To Develop Consistency
Why Should You Set Goals?
1. It keeps you accountable
2. It makes you intentional in your living
3. It helps you to measure your progress
4. It helps you to live with focus
Your goals should be SMART – Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic and Time-bound.
Personal Development and its Role in Fulfilling Your Life’s Goal
When you have a life’s goal, personal development is key to achieving that goal.
It will allow you to learn about yourself and what you want from life; it will change the way you live your life – you will always strive to be better; it will allow you to flourish; it will give you a feeling of happiness and it will help you to fulfil your full potential.
How to Improve Personal Development
1. Understand You: You need to understand who you are. Ask your friends to tell you who they think you are – your strengths, weaknesses, what they like and don’t like about you, etc. Also, write down 10 things you like about yourself (strong points) and 5 things you know you need to work on (weak points).
2. Be content, but never stop growing.
3. Always KEEP LEARNING. As it is popularly said, the day you stop learning is the say you start dying.
4. Network. Build you the right network for your network is your net-worth. It is also popularly said: You cannot be better than the 7 people you have in your inner circle.
5. Practice and Teach. Don’t get choked on information overload, practice what you learned and teach others too.
6. Personal Investment. You definitely should become intentional about personal investment. Invest in every area of your life and you will definitely reap the rewards.