To achieve career growth, there has to be the element of intentionality. For most people who make major strides in their career, it doesn’t happen by chance, it takes intentional planning and deliberate action.
So, what do you need to do?
Here are 5 practical steps to career growth and development:
1. Keep an up-to-date resume: Firstly, you need to have a resume, but more importantly, you have to ensure it is up-to-date. Success is when opportunity meets preparation, if that opportunity comes your way, is your CV updated? P.S: This includes your LinkedIn profile, edit it and make it professional.
2. Have regular career planning/review sessions: Research shows reflection increases productivity and performance, so take time to think about your current situation and the path you want to follow. Are you happy with your career path so far? What could you have done better or differently? What can you change in the future? Schedule regular career review/planning sessions preferably with a mentor, but you can also have one by yourself. It helps you to document growth, find out areas for improvement and realign your goals.
3. Document your achievements: What are your work achievements? What impact/changes have you brought to your team? What major projects have you worked on? What exams have you written? What major conferences have you spoken at? Ensure to have this information documented and updated regularly.
4. Determine your next career steps: After reviewing your career journey and documenting your achievements over the years, you need to determine what’s next. Do you need to take a new course? Do you need to apply for a new job? Do you need to ask for a promotion? Or do you need to up your game? Determine what’s next.
5. Step out of your comfort zone and take action: You already know this is the next step. However, over the years, I’ve seen how fear of the unknown has kept people rooted in the same place/position for years. If you are that kind of person, you have to do it afraid. The risk of staying in the same place is more than the risk of taking action. It is time to own your life’s journey, DO IT AFRAID. Move, take action already.
6. (Bonus)Build a strong network: This is a bonus step and very critical for career growth. Most job opportunities are gotten these days through word-of-mouth referrals. How many people know what you are capable of? What professional communities are you a part of? What conferences are you attending? Start building a network of like-minded professionals (both vertically and horizontally).
So, a lot has been said, it is time for you to rise and take action to move your career forward. I hope you take that step today.
Cheers to career growth and advancement.
Love and Light Always,